Thirty-seven volunteer organisations across Indi will share in $126,978 in federal grant funding, Independent Federal Member for Indi Helen Haines has announced.
These grants range from $1,000 to $5,000, and will assist organisations to better support their volunteers to purchase small equipment, pay fuel, transport and training costs.
Successful organisations in Indi include the Baranduda 1st Scouts Club, the Kinglake District Cricket Club, the Merrijig Public Hall, Raise the Roof Benalla, the Tallangatta Rail Trail Advisory Group, the Wangaratta Rovers Football and Netball Club and the Ovens and Murray Special Olympics Australia club.
Dr Haines called each organisation to share the good news personally. The successful applicants were recommended to the federal government for funding after being assessed by a panel of community leaders.
“The past two years have been difficult for many community organisations, facing the bushfires and then COVID-19 making it more difficult to undertake their activities. But so many groups found a way to keep going, showing just how strong the community spirit is in Indi,” Dr Haines said.
Dr Haines said the grants would go a long way towards supporting volunteers to continue their important work in the community, in work that brings people together even after tough times.
“I travel all across Indi and every time I visit a sports club, a local hall, or a community group, I am greeted by a volunteer,” Dr Haines said.
“Volunteers are the lifeblood of our towns and I am proud to be able to support them through these grants.”
- 2030 Yea Community Energy Training – governance and social media $ 4,201.00
- Alexandra and District Speedway Ten two-way radios and headsets $ 5,000.00
- Alpine Cycling Club Tools and correct equipment for maintaining cycling trails in Mystic Park $ 4,500.00
- Baranduda 1st Scouts Group Small equipment – camping $ 3,702.00
- Beechworth Boomerang Bags Two lockable cabinets $ 1,100
- Beechworth Chain Gang First Aid training, tools, shelving $ 4,300.00
- Beechworth Reptile Rescue Inc Protective gear and fuel cards $ 2,350.00
- Bonnie Doon Community Centre Background screening tests and fuel vouchers $ 2,094.00
- Champagne Club Kiewa Valley Events, fuel cards, PPE $ 2,600.00
- Community Accessibility Incorporated Promote volunteer, holding training, screen checks $ 5,000.00
- Corryong Craft Shop Display Shelving $ 1,000.00
- Da Vinci Social Club Police checks and Working with Children checks plus RSA training $ 2,862.00
- Euroa Friendlies Reserve Committee of Mgt Tools to maintain the oval $ 1,800.00
- Girl Guides Association of Australia / Hume Region Girl Guides Laptop, data projector, fuel, First Aid training $ 5,000.00
- Harrietville Community Hall Cleaning equipment including new vacuum, new dust broom, high window boom cleaner and new wet area cleaning equipment, and cleaning supplies. $ 2,003.00
- Jamieson Community Group New garden equipment $ 4,540.00
- Kinglake District Cricket Club Certificate First Aid Training and Mental Health Crisis Training $ 4,260.00
- Lions Club of Beechworth Purchase two refrigerators $ 1,000.00
- Lions Club of Benalla Computer and portable bain-marie $ 3,194.00
- Merrijig Public Hall Committee Training – Traffic Mgt, RSA, Food Safety, First Aid $ 3,809.70
- Mt Beauty Neighbourhood Centre Training – white card, chainsaw, chemical plus safety equipment $ 5,000.00
- Murray Valley Sanctuary Refugee Group Fuel voucher, equipment for training (screen, projector etc) $ 4,750.00
- Old Colonialist’s Association of Victoria Gardening tools for Green Thumbs program – matching vols with elderly residents $ 1,165.00
- Our Native Garden Nursery Inc Two trolleys for better handling $ 1,480.00
- Raise the Roof Inc P A System $ 5,000.00
- Rosehaven Hospice Limited Police checks, training $ 5,000.00
- Rotary Club of Alexandra Chainsaw for firewood program $ 1,844.00
- Rotary Club of Euroa Training in RSA, food handling and First Aid $ 3,250.00
- Special Olympics Aust – Ovens & Murray Printing, first aid course, fuel, screening, awareness $ 2,800.00
- St John Ambulance – Wodonga Division Portable radios, training de-fib machines, mannequins $ 4,934.00
- Tallangatta Rail Trail Advisory Group Tandem trailer to support our maintenance work. We would also use it for carrying bicycles for “Tallangatta Tall Trestle Treadle” fundraiser $ 4,500.00
- U3A Myrtleford and District Urns, first aid kits, gazebo, fire blankets, remote area first aid kits. $ 4,940.00
- Uniting Vic Tas Wodonga Hand trollies, aprons and counsellor training $ 5,000.00
- Wangaratta Basketball Club First aid, minor sports equipment, fuel vouchers, AED, IPAD, Fridge for kitchen $ 5,000.00
- Wangaratta Community Garden Watering system for all-ability use ($2000) $ 2,000.00
- Wangaratta Rovers Football and Netball Club Sports recovery equipment $ 2,500.00
- Yea and District Memorial Hospital Promote volunteer, holding training, screen checks $ 3,500.00