Click the picture above to hear Helen's Climate and renewables policy launch at Solar Integrity, Wodonga.
Thursday 2 May.
Climate change has a disproportionate impact on rural communities. A changing climate puts Indi’s economy at risk, threatening the health, wellbeing and viability of its communities, agricultural sector and specific sectors like ski tourism. As the ones who are most affected, regional communities stand to benefit most from strong government action on climate change. But we will also pay the highest price for inaction.
Indi can lead on climate change, and in the production of clean, locally-generated renewable energy. More renewable energy will mean cheaper power.
I support plans that will:
- increase household solar and battery installations
- increase government investment in renewable generation technologies, and
- create long term stability in national electricity policy
Indi communities are leading the way in a renewable energy transition towards self-sufficiency, and not-for-profit community groups in Indi are leading the world in the roll-out of micro-grid technologies, the reduction of electricity bills for local businesses and households, and helping those in social housing to pay their energy bills.
Community energy works. It needs to be supported at a national level.
My climate priorities:
- Introduce legislation to create Community Energy Fund to support the establishment of a network of community energy hubs across Australia, including provisions for an organisation that will support community energy hubs with administrative and governance services and reduce duplication.
- Advance Totally Renewable Indi to replicate and share community energy development and knowledge across North East Victoria.
- Lead efforts to ensure the Hume Renewable Energy Roadmap is a plan that works for Indi. I will work with stakeholders to build community support for the plan, and its practical application.
- Support a national Renewable Energy Target of no less than 50 per cent by 2030. This will give investors the confidence they have been seeking for the past six years and unlock investment in regional Australia.
- Lobby for an interest-free loan scheme for battery storage for households, farms and small businesses to help support a renewable transition and reduce power bills.
- Support initiatives for energy efficiency upgrades for landlords, tenants and homeowners.
- Support initiatives that encourage investment in demand management to reduce energy costs and improve network capacity.